exide extreme dual batteries

Submitted: Saturday, Feb 03, 2007 at 17:34
ThreadID: 41931 Views:16708 Replies:14 FollowUps:47
This Thread has been Archived
yea i know questions on batteries are probably a bit boring for the real old hands
and yes i did a search but not really what i need to know came up
I need to replace both the starter battery and the accessories dual battery in the nissan patrol - both of which are trying to die
It has been suggested by a guy who knows a bit about this stuff that the exide extreme batteries is probably a good way to go for both - as the exide extreme have a both dual starter as well as a deep cycle capability
Obviously the starter battery starts the 3.0 L TD patrol and it also runs a TJM 10,000 electric ox winch now and then and the other dual accessory battery runs 2 fridges when travelling using engel 12 v plugs and 6 mm wiring - one a 40 litre engel run as a freezer and the other a 30 litre finch run as a fridge (and yes i know the drawbacks of the finch on 12 v but i run it on gas when we camp)
any sensible suggestions appreciated - i am happy to pay a couple of hundred dollars for each battery as may be needed
thanks in advance and see you greg
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Moggs - Saturday, Feb 03, 2007 at 18:10

Saturday, Feb 03, 2007 at 18:10
I'll say upfront that I have 2 Exides under the bonnet of the Patrol....but I do not believe they have any better deep cycle capabilities than any other heavy duty battery out there. Yes, they are cheap if you get them on sale from k-mart, but after speaking with Chris at Batteryworld Wantirna I reckon I'll go with the Century batteries next time. They are a bit cheaper and from what Chris has seen they last better than the exides (BTW, he can sell both so it is not a distributor bias)

If I were you, I'd put two crankers under the hood and run an AGM in a battery box in the rear for the fridges. Get a smart charger and it should happily charge all 3.
AnswerID: 219480

Follow Up By: greggu - Saturday, Feb 03, 2007 at 18:22

Saturday, Feb 03, 2007 at 18:22
thanks moggs interested in your comments on the exides
bit short of room in the back of the patrol mate when fully geared up for an AGM in a batt box unfortunately - we take the kitchen sink mate - but not a bad idea at all -
i have a big century batt now as the auxillary batt and yes its been a real good batt and lasted about 4 plus years without too much tlc whereas the nissan orig inal is showing signs of dying a slow death at 2 and half years
i guess where i would like to go is to buy a good starter battery to replace the nissan batt and a suitable combo deep cycle / starter if there is sucha thing that can use for starter batt in emergency to replace the current century starter type auxillay batt
i have the exide AGMs in the kimberley kamper
see you mate greg
FollowupID: 480027

Reply By: troopyman - Saturday, Feb 03, 2007 at 18:57

Saturday, Feb 03, 2007 at 18:57
It has deep cycling to a degree . I couldnt afford fullriver AMGs so i had to settle for a pair of exide extremes unfortunately .
AnswerID: 219496

Reply By: Mad Dog - Vic - Saturday, Feb 03, 2007 at 19:30

Saturday, Feb 03, 2007 at 19:30
Yes batteries seem to be a problem for some people. I like to keep things simple hassle free wihout having to worry and I'm not one who likes to fart around so for those reasons I use a cheap battery which happens to be the extreme, it gets used and abused and after a year gets replaced with a new one, simple and worry free, love it.
AnswerID: 219502

Reply By: TrevorDavid- Saturday, Feb 03, 2007 at 20:36

Saturday, Feb 03, 2007 at 20:36
Greggu, i have a extreme as my second battery ( Just on three years now). So cant see myself changing to anything different, will go to 2 x extremes when the main battery dies.

regards

TDB
dontyajustluvit

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 219522

Follow Up By: Leroy - Saturday, Feb 03, 2007 at 23:06

Saturday, Feb 03, 2007 at 23:06
Ditto. Also BIL has 2, another mate has recently replaced his with another after 3yrs of good service. U need more convincing Greggu?

Leroy
FollowupID: 480106

Reply By: Peter McG (Member, Melbourne) - Saturday, Feb 03, 2007 at 23:14

Saturday, Feb 03, 2007 at 23:14
Greg

I use Delkor sealed batteries for both in my GU. have tried exide but found they leak and need refilling.

try ALCO batteries - should Be about 145.

peter
Peter
VKS Mobile 1906

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 219556

Follow Up By: Leroy - Saturday, Feb 03, 2007 at 23:17

Saturday, Feb 03, 2007 at 23:17
Leak? Or do you mean evaporate?

Leroy
FollowupID: 480111

Follow Up By: Mainey (WA) - Saturday, Feb 03, 2007 at 23:57

Saturday, Feb 03, 2007 at 23:57
Greg,
I use an almost 5yo (DC27) Delkor Deep Cycle battery as my starter battery and two AGM's wired in parallel as the aux battery system.

Why not go out to see Chris or his ol man, Graeme, and get two Delkor DC27's, one to use as a starter and the other as the Aux, that way when they wired together by the (smart type) isolator you will have two Deep Cycle batteries to run your fridge etc.
FollowupID: 480122

Follow Up By: Peter McG (Member, Melbourne) - Sunday, Feb 04, 2007 at 07:08

Sunday, Feb 04, 2007 at 07:08
Leroy,

spillage to be more accurate. more from aux battery. caused by rough 4wd tracks.

peter

Peter
VKS Mobile 1906

FollowupID: 480137

Follow Up By: greggu - Sunday, Feb 04, 2007 at 21:15

Sunday, Feb 04, 2007 at 21:15
thanks guys for the info
peter and mainey how do the delkor batteries handle the heat in the engine bay
i have a delkor in the KK but cant get it to hold more than 12.7 v
thanks and see you greg
FollowupID: 480323

Follow Up By: Peter McG (Member, Melbourne) - Monday, Feb 05, 2007 at 09:39

Monday, Feb 05, 2007 at 09:39
I've had mine for over two yars now and no problems at all. Have you tested the KK battery by charging out of the camper? I use a 15A charger in the garaage to charge batteries and it floates at 13.6 but then disconnect and test voltage and I'm sure the battery tests at around 12.7 to 12.8. Sounds OK to me. BTW I use cranking Delkors not special deep cycle ones. Same battery for starting and aux.

Cheers

Peter
Peter
VKS Mobile 1906

FollowupID: 480412

Follow Up By: Mainey (WA) - Monday, Feb 05, 2007 at 11:28

Monday, Feb 05, 2007 at 11:28
greggu, I don't put my Aux batteries in the engine bay, they last longer when not under the heat stress.
You say you can't get your Delkor to hold more than 12.7v, that is the rate of a fully charged battery, it would only get higher when the regulator is putting charge into it, then when you stop the battery (slowly) drops to the fully charged number.
If you look at the number when being charged it would be in the area of 13.6v to 14.?v depending on the regulator.
FollowupID: 480431

Reply By: oldmagpie2 - Saturday, Feb 03, 2007 at 23:48

Saturday, Feb 03, 2007 at 23:48
pay two hundred for both exide batteries that'll probably last you three years , then pay another two hundred each three years after that (sometimes longer) but dont expect the deep cycle to run all that stuff for too long between recharges, just my opinion. cheers
AnswerID: 219559

Follow Up By: Mainey (WA) - Sunday, Feb 04, 2007 at 00:18

Sunday, Feb 04, 2007 at 00:18
The EXIDE web site lists the Exide Extreme ONLY as a Cranking battery...

Site Link

The Exide EXTREME is not mentioned "anywhere" on the "Exide Deep Cycle" products web page at all.
Maybe Exide have not been told it's a deep cycle battery ??
Could be because Exide make the battery and have to give it a warranty and they already know it's NOT a Deep Cycle battery, lol

Don't wast your money and time replacing batteries each time they loose power, could happen in the boonies, where you can't get a replacement.

Get a decent AGM DC battery, 100+ a/h and you will have a battery that lasts for at least the same time as 4 extremes at a fraction of their same cost and without any reliability problems.
AGM's also recharge much faster than cranking batteries if you need to run a gennie or the vehicle alternator.
Yes they are made for the job of running fridges etc whereby the Cranking battery is not made for that purpose at all, well that is what the Exide web site states.
FollowupID: 480123

Follow Up By: Leroy - Sunday, Feb 04, 2007 at 09:21

Sunday, Feb 04, 2007 at 09:21
Mainey you drag up the same old argument evertime the Exide Extreme topic rares it head.
I think then if the EE(lets ab
FollowupID: 480153

Follow Up By: Leroy - Sunday, Feb 04, 2007 at 09:30

Sunday, Feb 04, 2007 at 09:30
Mainey you drag up the same old argument evertime the Exide Extreme topic rares it head.
I think then if the Exide Extreme performs so well as a second battery for so many people they all can't be wrong. Here's some features of this fantastic battery:

Reinforced Grids - Special heavy duty grids with reinforced cross members are used to provide extreme structural strength and durability.

Thick Plates - Thick plate material is used to provide plenty of power plus the capacity to withstand repeated discharge.

Glass Mats - Enveloped separators are reinforced with glass mat. This dampens vibration, preventing active material from shedding & shorting.

No-Vibe? Bonded - Two strips of No-Vibe? bonding are used to further resist any plate vibration.

What great features to with stand our rough corrugated tracks around the country.

Pretty hard to justify spending double or even tripple on occasion for these 'deep cycle' battery's when an exide extreme with the ability to 'withstand repeated discharge' performs equally as well.

Leroy
FollowupID: 480155

Follow Up By: Mainey (WA) - Sunday, Feb 04, 2007 at 13:32

Sunday, Feb 04, 2007 at 13:32
Leroy,
none of the points you have posted above make the Extreme replicate a DEEP CYCLE battery, and I repeat Exide claim the Extreme is only a "passenger car battery" (25Kg) and NOT a Deep Cycle battery (28.5Kg) in N70 size.

As Exide very clearly explains on their web site the Extreme is only a CRANKING battery, yes it states that clearly on the Exide web site, that's not my 'opinion' that is a fact, and as I say posted on their (Exide) web site.

I have only posted on this forum what Exide state about the Exide Extreme battery, if you or any one at all want to use the Extreme as a Deep Cycle battery that is your choice, however Exide make a Deep Cycle battery and call it the ENDURANCE, it's technical specs are vastly different to the Extreme - because it's a different battery built for a totally different purpose as fully explained by EXIDE on their website.

Your points posted above clearly indicate the Extreme battery is "well made" and I don't dispute that at all, the weight of the two different batteries indicate clearly the different specifications as the Deep Cycle battery is 3.5 Kg heavier than the Extreme battery in the same size battery, the reason is simply because one is only a Cranking battery and the other is a Deep Cycle battery with much thicker plates than the Cranking battery, hence the extra weight and longer lasting power.

the point in question is -->

Is the Extreme battery rated as a DEEP CYCLE battery

and the simple answer is NO, it is NOT rated by Exide as a DEEP CYCLE battery.

The Exide DEEP CYCLE battery is called the ENDURANCE
and below is the relevant advertising from the Exide site;

"Built strong to withstand the pounding and vibration of marine, 4WD or heavy vehicle use, Exide Endurance Deep Cycle battery is developed for long-running power and low amperage drain.
DESIGNED to outlast ordinary car batteries in Deep Cycle applications where there is prolonged power demand from accessories and other equipment. If you require an extended power supply for operating 4x4 accessories like a winch, CB radio, driving lights, refrigerator, extra camp lighting, auxiliary equipment or bilge pumps, a DEEP CYCLE Battery is the BEST solution"

As you can easily read, Exide claim the ENDURANCE is superior to the EXTREME Cranking battery range because it will continue to supply power long after the Cranking battery has lost it's ability to supply constant 12v power.

And from the EXIDE web site the following information:

"What are "Deep Cycle" Batteries?

These batteries are designed to provide "deep cycle" power - making them very DIFFERENT from ordinary car batteries.
Starting a car requires a high amount of energy for a short period of time (about 5 seconds). Only a small amount of the battery's capacity is used. Once the engine starts running, the battery is recharged quickly by the alternator, which carries the basic electrical load.

On the other hand, Deep Cycle batteries supply a relatively low amount of current for a long period of time. They are specially DESIGNED to power electric trolling motors and other electrical accessories in boats and RVs.
UNLIKE ordinary car starting batteries, they can be run down and recharged (deep cycled) repeatedly with MINIMUM loss of capacity.

When a car starting battery is deep cycled, it loses capacity very rapidly and in some cases has lost its useful capacity in 50 cycles (discharges and recharges) or less.

These limitations make car batteries a POOR investment when used for marine and RV deep cycle applications.
A single deep cycle marine/RV battery will outlast 2-4 car batteries."

Leroy,
Please don't take this post as a mark of disrespect to yourself personally.

I'm only posting information that is readily available on the Exide website.

Unfortunately it states information that's not what you believe, or want to read, but it is the official EXIDE website and not my own thoughts on batteries, I'm just the 'messenger' and not the writer of the relevant EXIDE battery website information.

Hope this information assists you to understand the real difference between a Cranking battery and a Deep Cycle battery as defined by EXIDE, not by me or a 'forum' reader.

Mainey
FollowupID: 480224

Follow Up By: Leroy - Sunday, Feb 04, 2007 at 13:49

Sunday, Feb 04, 2007 at 13:49
Mainey, Where in my post was I saying the Extreme is a deep cycle battery or it's trying to replicate a deep cycle batt? The extreme can handle repeated dishcharges as the Exide site states and as a result obviously makes an excellent 2nd battery and this is all I am trying to say. Bang for buck I reckon you cant go wrong.

Leroy
FollowupID: 480226

Follow Up By: Mainey (WA) - Sunday, Feb 04, 2007 at 18:26

Sunday, Feb 04, 2007 at 18:26
Leroy, you affirm the practice of using the EXTREME as a 2nd battery.

Therefore it would be running a fridge among other things, that's my point, Exide state the Extreme is NOT a Deep Cycle battery but a Car Cranking battery and as such a car Cranking battery will NOT replicate the qualities of a Deep Cycle battery, their words - not mine.

Coppied from the Exide website:

"UNLIKE ordinary car starting batteries, Deep Cycle batteries can be run down and recharged (deep cycled) REPEATEDLY with MINIMUM loss of capacity.

When a car starting battery is deep cycled, it LOSES capacity VERY rapidly and in some cases has lost its useful capacity in 50 cycles (discharges and recharges) or less."

The above is coppied direct from the EXIDE website.

Allmost any battery will run a fridge - some do it much better than others.
The most reliable and longest lasting battery to use for running a fridge over a long period of time is an AGM ( therefore better value for $$$$) that can be easily tested by running two of the same model fridge with 2 different batteries till one runs down, then swap the batteries and do the test again, guarantee the Car Cranking battery is the first to die... They are not made to run a fridge, they are made to start cars, which is a totally different procedure.

I use AGM batteries that have a 10 year warranty, it retails for ~$245
yes just $24.50 per year, heaps cheaper than any cranking battery, that will last no where near the same time and is just as likely to die in the bush, where you need it the most.

My present Cranker is a Delkor DC27 ($180 Deep Cycle battery) which is presently 5 years old, that equates to only ~$36 per year to date.
If an Extreme lasts 3 years that is ~$43 per year and the real inconvienience of having a battery that you actually know will not do the job as good as a Deep Cycle battery, and will still cost you more money in the long term.

I believe the situation of having a battery that is not as hard working yet still costs more money defies common logic, yes that is only my opinion, not Exides.
FollowupID: 480272

Follow Up By: Leroy - Sunday, Feb 04, 2007 at 18:33

Sunday, Feb 04, 2007 at 18:33
Mainey, you still haven't answered my question:

'Where in my post was I saying the Extreme is a deep cycle battery or it's trying to replicate a deep cycle batt?'

I also don't think you would have much luck claiming you warrantly on a 10yr old batter. You have to be realistic.

Leroy
FollowupID: 480274

Follow Up By: Mainey (WA) - Sunday, Feb 04, 2007 at 18:41

Sunday, Feb 04, 2007 at 18:41
Leroy,
You did not say the EXIDE EXTREME is a DEEP CYCLE battery :-)

I posted the information direct from EXIDE stating the EXTREME is NOT a Deep Cycle battery but a Passenger Car Cranking battery...

Leroy,
do you believe the Exide Extreme is a Deep Cycle battery or can REPLICATE a Deep Cycle battery ??
FollowupID: 480280

Follow Up By: Leroy - Sunday, Feb 04, 2007 at 19:25

Sunday, Feb 04, 2007 at 19:25
look at the end of the day I don't think even a deep cycle batt. can handle continuous 'deep' cycling and I'm not saying an exide extreme is a deep cycle battery and can handle it any better but it appears to do a good job. Maybe the voltage supplied by the alternator is great for the extreme and as many have said about deep cycle batteries not getting the hig voltage it needs to become fuly charged it not adequate.
Like someone mentioned, battery choice is a compromise and this is exactly what I think. What is suitable for one is not necessarily for the other.

Leroy

FollowupID: 480291

Follow Up By: oldmagpie2 - Sunday, Feb 04, 2007 at 21:26

Sunday, Feb 04, 2007 at 21:26
gentlemen , gentlemen, very good banter, however there are too many derivatives to actually say which is correct for what type of use i.e if i have a second battery that i only use a few times a year & have it on a floating charge all the time wouldnt a cheapy like an exide be sufficient & cost effective, well it has been for me & would all the people who have had their agm's for ten years or more please let us know on this thread, just for interests sake, its all going to change soon anyway with lithium isnt it?.cheers
FollowupID: 480324

Follow Up By: Mainey (WA) - Monday, Feb 05, 2007 at 11:15

Monday, Feb 05, 2007 at 11:15
leroy,
I've stated, as you asked for, you don't think an Exide Extreme is a Deep Cycle battery.
The irony is you use an AGM battery, (not an Extreme) as your own Aux battery, that tells me your opinion on the use of Extremes as an Aux battery, you have put your money where the battery facts lead you, lol
I just hope you bought a quality product and not a budget priced look-alike, time and (any lack) of performance will tell !!!

oldmagpie2,
leroy and myself do not believe there are too many derivatives, as we both use AGM's to run the fridge etc. (not Cranking batteries)

All battery manufacturers I'm aware of recommend Cranking batteries to start the vehicle and Deep Cycle batteries to run the accessories used when camping.

Question:
can 'anyone' nominate a "battery" website
where a Cranking battery is recommended to run a fridge FULL TIME
- INSTEAD of a Deep Cycle battery ??
FollowupID: 480426

Follow Up By: Leroy - Monday, Feb 05, 2007 at 14:48

Monday, Feb 05, 2007 at 14:48
Mainey,

Where in my post did I say I use an AGM for a second battery?

I use an exide extreme as stated in a reply above. Does the ditto in the reply above ring a bell. I just aquired 2 AGM batteries that you read in another post but that doesn't mean I'm using them in the Patrol.

Leroy
FollowupID: 480474

Follow Up By: Mainey (WA) - Tuesday, Feb 06, 2007 at 12:50

Tuesday, Feb 06, 2007 at 12:50
Leroy,
this post is where you say you "I just got 2 new AGM batteries"

Site Link

Coppied below in full so you can read it yourself, it was only posted 2 x days ago, lol

"Thread By: Leroy posted at Sunday, February 04, 2007 at 13:56
Hi Guys,
A while back I got a panel and it's o/c voltage is 18-19v so I didn't worry about a regulator and directly connected it to the battery.
Now I just aquired 4 older solar panels. 2 different brands 2 put out 32-33v and the other 2 put out 45-47v. Is this normal???
Now if it is then i need a regulator. What do people recomend? I like the look of the Plasmatronics but dont know that I want to spend $300 on the reg but
I JUST GOT 2 NEW AGM BATTERIES
and I don't want to stuff them either! Thinking at least a 2 stage would be ok but is there a reasonable priced 3 stage?
I know we get lots of solar/batt questions so I would appreciate your experinces. I tried searching and was looking for a specific post in '03 and put the search dates in but kept comming up with posts from '02!
LEROY"

Leroy to be totally precice you did not say you "use an AGM battery for a second battery" as you have said in the post above!!
However as you say you have only just got them so I would not think at the date of the post they were actually installed into your vehicle yet as you have not yet bought a solar regulator lol

When someone "gets 2 x NEW AGM batteries" I can only believe they did not steal them, that they in fact actually paid for them, like the rest of us have to do, (if not I want 2 or 3 please)

My question is if Exide Extremes are cheaper and just as efficient, as you have posted in this thread and also a good battery for a second battery -->

WHY would you actually buy 2 x AGM's, instead of 2 x cheaper EXIDE EXTREMES ??

Where are you going to use the 2 x NEW AGM's - if not in the Patrol ??

FollowupID: 480712

Follow Up By: Leroy - Tuesday, Feb 06, 2007 at 13:21

Tuesday, Feb 06, 2007 at 13:21
It's none of your #ucking business. I can't believe I let myself get into this childing debate. I don't have have to substantiate anything to you. All you are interested in doing is contorting other peoples facts to prop up your silly arguments. Obviously you don't want to hear what people have to say about a particualar topic if you don't agree with it. Well you will have to agree to disagree. I have answered the post with personal experiance and don't have to justify anything to you or anybody.

Leroy
FollowupID: 480720

Follow Up By: Mainey (WA) - Tuesday, Feb 06, 2007 at 13:59

Tuesday, Feb 06, 2007 at 13:59
Leroy, your correct, you don't have to substantiate you post
unless of course you are specifically questioned about information in your your post.

My point was, if you have so high reguard for Exide Extreme batteries as Aux batteries, why would you not get them for your own use ??
Instead of getting 2 x AGM's ??

Yes, it appears it's your personal experience NOT to use Exide Extreme batteries as your aux battery system, however I would like to ask why you would use AGM's?

But I won't :-)

I better not offer advise on how to change the voltage of your solar panels either as you claim that's not my business either, but it was you who asked the question - not me.
Enjoy your day.
FollowupID: 480726

Follow Up By: Leroy - Tuesday, Feb 06, 2007 at 14:39

Tuesday, Feb 06, 2007 at 14:39
you still don't get it. The post is about exide extreme suitabitlty and not how or why I aquired 2 AGM batteries.

Just because I answer a post on a Toyota doesn't mean I have to substatiate my Nissan purchase. 'oh but you bought the Nissan so it must be better than the Toyota'

Leroy
FollowupID: 480732

Follow Up By: Mainey (WA) - Tuesday, Feb 06, 2007 at 22:39

Tuesday, Feb 06, 2007 at 22:39
Leroy, yes this post is about Exide suitability, so is that why you use 2 x AGM's ??

You stated you 'bought' 2 x AGM's, when you appear to be suggesting in all your posts above, the much less expensive Exide Extreme can do the same or similar job.

So I speculate, why would you buy the more expensive AGM batteries, when you are robustly suggesting the much cheaper Exide Extreme could (possibly) do the same job ??

Why would you NOT state in this thread you have bought 2 x AGM batteries and not Extremes, as yes that is your own "personal battery experience" and as you say it could then be shared with the forum members.

Maybe you can do a ‘comparison’ of Extreme v AGM batteries lol

Can I ask you what size and brand of AGM batteries you have ?
FollowupID: 480835

Follow Up By: Leroy - Thursday, Feb 08, 2007 at 12:23

Thursday, Feb 08, 2007 at 12:23
you're an idiot. I haven't stated I bought any AGM batteries if so show me. I haven't used them and maybe I aquired them after posting?

Leroy
FollowupID: 481169

Follow Up By: Mainey (WA) - Friday, Feb 09, 2007 at 13:35

Friday, Feb 09, 2007 at 13:35
Leroy, this is YOUR ORIGINAL POST number #41965
Gee you have a bad memory

"Solar panel open cct voltages 33-45volts! I really need a regulator now!!
PostID: 41965
Thread By: Leroy, posted SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 04, 2007 at 13:56
Hi Guys,
A while back I got a panel and it's o/c voltage is 18-19v so I didn't worry about a regulator and directly connected it to the battery. Now I just aquired 4 older solar panels. 2 different brands 2 put out 32-33v and the other 2 put out 45-47v. Is this normal??? Now if it is then i need a regulator. What do people recomend? I like the look of the Plasmatronics but dont know that I want to spend $300 on the reg but ......... I JUST GOT 2 NEW AGM BATTERIES ....... and I don't want to stuff them either! Thinking at least a 2 stage would be ok but is there a reasonable priced 3 stage? I know we get lots of solar/batt questions so I would appreciate your experinces. I tried searching and was looking for a specific post in '03 and put the search dates in but kept comming up with posts from '02!
LEROY
Replies: 10 Last: 05 Feb 07 18:31 FollowUps: 9 Last: 05 Feb 07 22:03 Views: 361"

Leroy,
do you remember posting this, and you think I'm an idiot, so maybe you did not actually 'buy' the 2 NEW AGM's, but you did post you just "got" 2 x NEW AGM's and most guy's actually have to buy their AGM's, unless they 'work' in the Solar/battery business lol
So many questions and no 'logical' answers

Mainey...
FollowupID: 481442

Follow Up By: Leroy - Sunday, Feb 11, 2007 at 21:48

Sunday, Feb 11, 2007 at 21:48
I don't have a bad memory I just scrolled up the post and I don't see any reference to purchasing 2 agm batteries. Now I see you quoted info from another thread. Wow this i s a thread about a different topic and wow after I made a reply to this post??? You idiot. It has nothing to do with this thread.

Leroy
FollowupID: 481857

Follow Up By: Mainey (WA) - Monday, Feb 12, 2007 at 12:43

Monday, Feb 12, 2007 at 12:43
Leroy,
I never stated you actually 'purchased' the 2 NEW AGM batteries
I asked an embarrassing question of you, nothing more than a question.

to refresh your memory in #41965 you did post:

"I JUST GOT 2 NEW AGM BATTERIES"

Now maybe you did not "purchase" them at all, so will you then clear up the situation or is a truthful answer an embarrassment to you ??

Did some-one 'give' you "2 NEW AGM batteries" - no I don't think so !!

Or
were they dumped because they were 'stuffed'
just like the solar panels you posted about, lol

Leroy, if you had simply said you were given 2 x second hand agm's you would not be in the embarrassing situation you are in now, honesty is the only policy.

No, I don't expect an honest answer, as you have done everything possible to distance yourself from your original "I GOT 2 NEW AGM batteries" post.
FollowupID: 481934

Reply By: Derek from Affordable Batteries & Radiators - Sunday, Feb 04, 2007 at 00:12

Sunday, Feb 04, 2007 at 00:12
Hi Greg

105 a/h MRV70 All-rounder is a good way to go. $170.00 each and availble in left and right post.

Well priced and great batteries. 105 amp hours and 760 cca.

We recently used one to test our new fridge.

Fridge Test

Regards

Derek
AnswerID: 219564

Follow Up By: Mainey (WA) - Sunday, Feb 04, 2007 at 00:28

Sunday, Feb 04, 2007 at 00:28
Derek,
that's an Engel thermostat, the thermostat was just confused ... lol

some hard hours put in there, opening the dam lid all the time.....
FollowupID: 480125

Follow Up By: Kev M (NSW) - Sunday, Feb 04, 2007 at 08:35

Sunday, Feb 04, 2007 at 08:35
I've got one of these ATM for my second battery and when the main bleep s itself I'll be getting another to replace it.

Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 480140

Follow Up By: Derek from Affordable Batteries & Radiators - Sunday, Feb 04, 2007 at 11:37

Sunday, Feb 04, 2007 at 11:37
Hi Mainey

Yes some long hours and I knew it was about to cut out that is why I tried to stay up so late on the last night. (watched kettle never boils)

Had to use the Engel Thermometer as our ones are still in manufacture.

Regards

Derek.
FollowupID: 480188

Follow Up By: greggu - Sunday, Feb 04, 2007 at 15:14

Sunday, Feb 04, 2007 at 15:14
derek i assume the all rounder is not an AGM ?
so that should do the job as a starter battery
am also interested in the 100 AH AGM on your site
can that be fitted in the nissan engines bay in an ARB battery cradle
thansk and my best regards greg
FollowupID: 480240

Follow Up By: Derek from Affordable Batteries & Radiators - Sunday, Feb 04, 2007 at 15:56

Sunday, Feb 04, 2007 at 15:56
Hi Greg,

The MRV is a maintenance free wet cell dual purpose battery and will do the job for both your batteries.

If you use a AGM in the Patrol you will need a heat shield. There is a lot of heat off the engine where the 2nd battery fits in the Patrol and I would fit a alloy plate to the cradle to keep heat off the battery.

Check your tray size it may not hold the 100 a/h AGM 330x171x230h

Regards

Derek.
FollowupID: 480247

Follow Up By: greggu - Sunday, Feb 04, 2007 at 19:17

Sunday, Feb 04, 2007 at 19:17
thanks derek
yes your right the 100 ah AGM is prob too big for the ARB batt tray which is about 310 to 315 long and about 180 wude at max and if heat is a no no for AGM s then maybe its the allrounder that i will need
incidently how do the delkors calcuims handle being in a hot engine bay - well or not too well ?
thanks for the feed back
see you greg
FollowupID: 480290

Reply By: Robin - Sunday, Feb 04, 2007 at 09:07

Sunday, Feb 04, 2007 at 09:07
Hi Greggu

A few good sugestions in this post, the line between starter and deep cycle has been getting a little blurred lately as manufacturing processes are producing better standard batteries.

The extreme and others mentioned here would do you job quite well.

But if wish to go a little better get exide orbital which has better all characteristics and a true starter & deep cycle.

They have come down a bit and think a couple of hundred each is achieveable if look around.

Robin Miller
AnswerID: 219587

Follow Up By: Mainey (WA) - Wednesday, Feb 07, 2007 at 13:24

Wednesday, Feb 07, 2007 at 13:24
Relevant information direct from the Exide web site:
www.exide.com.au/products/orbital.php

Exide ORBITAL battery

Cold Cranking Amps = 750 (CCA)
Reserve Capacity = 100 (Mins)
Amp Hours C20 hrs = 50 (A/H)
Weight Kg = 18.6 (Kg)

Exide EXTREME Heavy Commercial battery (largest capacity available quoted here)

Cold Cranking amps = 620 (CCA)
Reserve Capacity = 150 (Mins)
Amp Hours (not available from Exide website)
Weight Kg = 25 (Kg)

As you can clearly see the ORBITAL is only 50 a/h which is small in capacity for it's reasonably large price when compared to a Trojan 100+ a/h or even an AGM battery of 100+ a/h and both these batteries are less money than the Orbital, for those who like to get a bargain, lol.

The Exide Orbital has huge CCA ratings and is a gr8 Cranking battery, but has restricted use as a Deep Cycle battery because of it's very small a/h capacity, it will not even last as long as an Exide Extreme, which is only rated as a Passenger Car Cranking battery by Exide.

The Extreme has 50% larger Reserve Capacity, with 150 mins v the Orbital of only 100 Mins.

However;
AGM's have Reserve Capacity of more than DOUBLE the time of BOTH of these Exide batteries combined, and five hundred plus (500+) Minutes RC is very common.
www.lifelinebatteries.com/rvbatteries.php

Mainey

FollowupID: 480954

Follow Up By: Robin - Wednesday, Feb 07, 2007 at 14:13

Wednesday, Feb 07, 2007 at 14:13
Hi Mainey

In reading those specs you could draw the conclusion you have about the Orbital but it is not correct.

", it will not even last as long as an Exide Extreme "

The smallest model Orbital will significantly outlast the Extreme and most others of that type despite its seemingly small 50AH.

This is because its heavy spiral cell construction means it can go to a much larger depth of discharge without damage, while delivering starting/winch type currents.

A typical N70 battery should only be discharged around 20% which is 14AH
whereas the Oribtal can go to 50% for the same conditions I.E. 25AH or
nearly twice as much in the same size package.

This is the secret to their performance as the best all round use battery.

Robin Miller

FollowupID: 480968

Follow Up By: Mainey (WA) - Wednesday, Feb 07, 2007 at 19:57

Wednesday, Feb 07, 2007 at 19:57
Robin, the Exide web site claims the Orbital battery is 100 minutes RESERVE CAPACITY and the Extreme is 150 minutes RESERVE CAPACITY.

I would think when Exide test and evaluate their batteries they take them down to the MINIMUM, LOW voltage and also the FULLEST Depth of Discharge possible, simply to give their batteries the very best and highest possible performance specifications.

Exide state their test measurement results in "TIME" (minutes) not in a/h, it could be simply because the Extreme is not rated as is a Deep Cycle battery is. Eg; in a/h ?

I reiterate Exide claim the ORBITAL will last 100 minutes and the EXTREME will last 150 minutes, powering the same 'product' at the same nominated power draw, that is stated on their web site.
FollowupID: 481042

Follow Up By: Robin - Thursday, Feb 08, 2007 at 07:53

Thursday, Feb 08, 2007 at 07:53
Thats the catch Mainey - the statement is perfectly correct.

But if you research further you find that one battery has a very short life in that mode and the other a dramatically longer life.

Its the repeatability of depth of discharge which makes one battery a deep cycke and the other not.

The reserve capacity rating is much higher that that obtained by discharging a normal battery just 20% , which is reccomended pretty well everywhere.

Robin Miller
FollowupID: 481123

Follow Up By: Mainey (WA) - Thursday, Feb 08, 2007 at 11:31

Thursday, Feb 08, 2007 at 11:31
Robin,
Yes, the facts are easily obtained from the EXIDE web site.

The Orbital battery is only 50a/h and 100 Minutes Reserve Capacity.

Most ppl who use a Deep cycle battery do so in the range of 80a/h to well over 115a/h which is about double the available capacity of the Orbital battery and still less money than the Orbital battery.

You say "But if you research further you find that one battery has a VERY SHORT life in that mode and the other a dramatically longer life" however unfortunately you don't nominate which battery has the shorter life, is it the Cranking battery, the EXTREME ??

Robin, you say "Its the repeatability of depth of discharge which makes one battery a deep cycke and the other not"
Actually Deep Cycle batteries are "designed and manufactured" to different internal specifications, with much thicker lead grids, they have the same outside appearance but have a much larger weight variation between Cranking batteries and Deep Cycle batteries of the same physical size, this Deep Cycle 'battery design' allows one battery to last longer than the other with increased depth of discharge possible.

Comparison of the Exide Cranking battery, Extreme (25Kg) and the Exide Deep Cycle battery, Endurance (28.5Kg) clearly shows this as they both look the same on the outside but the internal lead grids are a vastly different size.

AGM's are totally different design again.
FollowupID: 481158

Follow Up By: Robin - Thursday, Feb 08, 2007 at 12:55

Thursday, Feb 08, 2007 at 12:55
Hi Mainey

No free lunch, that's why the orbital costs more.

No other type of construction can match their performance and it costs to make battery both AGM and spiral wound.

Normal AGM's can't deliver the same overall performance - by the way you can get spiral wound AGM's like orbital's in other sizes - I was just using the 20kg standard size N70 version as an example for comparison purposes.

In practise the advantages go a lot further , as there's no need to have more than one battery usually , with the wiring and other dual battery issues.

Robin Miller

FollowupID: 481173

Follow Up By: Mainey (WA) - Friday, Feb 09, 2007 at 13:06

Friday, Feb 09, 2007 at 13:06
Robin, you posted:
"No other type of construction can match their (Orbital) performance"
and
"Normal AGM's can't deliver the same overall performance"

Your correct, in as much as the better quality AGM's can't get 'down' to the LOW performance numbers posted of the Orbital battery, or is it the Orbital battery can't get UP to the technical specs of a quality AGM battery, yes they are very different, lol

Hope I can I disagree with you, without causing a shetfight :-)

The real facts are:

Lifeline & similar build 100 a/h Deep Cycle AGM batteries cost much less than the Orbital spiral battery and have the following technical specifications.

Rated Capacity @ 20 Hr Rate = 100 Amp Hrs.
(Much larger capacity batteries are also available
100 a/h only used for comparison purposes as is the 'usual' size used as Aux DC battery)

Minutes of Discharge;
25 Amps = 186 Minutes. ( 3.1 Hours)
15 Amps = 324 Minutes. ( 5.4 hours)
8 Amps = 655 Minutes. (10.9 hours) ~3 x Waeco/Engel fridges running CONTINIOUSLY all at same time lol

Cold Cranking Amps;
845 CCA @ 68°
715 CCA @ 32°
575 CCA @ 0°

Weight = 29.5 Kg.

Specifications for same brand battery in smaller 80a/h size is:
800CCA
@ 8amp draw = 524 Minutes Reserve Capacity (8.75 hours)
25.5 Kg, and yes, heaps & heaps less money lol

Versus the Orbital battery;
750 cca, 50a/h and 100 minutes (less than 2 x hours) reserve capacity and yes, how many times more expensive ?
As I have stated the Orbital is a gr8 Cranking battery because of it's small physical size and HIGH CCA's, however to be running a fridge in continuous operation the technical specifications posted actually prove beyond any doubt various other AGM's are far superior and actually cost half (1/2) the price in some cases.
FollowupID: 481434

Follow Up By: Robin - Friday, Feb 09, 2007 at 14:17

Friday, Feb 09, 2007 at 14:17
Hi Mainey

Love to explore differences of opinion , and its a pleasure when they
stay on an even keel, and every now and again one learns something new
but generally getting behind the glossy specs to the "not so obvious" issues
is all that's required .

You started your replies by not accepting my statment that Oribital type
battieres are better allround true starting and deepcycle and stating that
Exide extreme would last longer than Orbital quoting its RC.

To which I explained that this did not take into account the non-destructive
depth of discharge concept, which puts Orbital way ahead of extreme.

Do you accept or non-accept that Oribtal will deliver more amp hours over
many discharge cycles without damage than the similar (N70) size Extreme ?

Your latest post compares some other batteries (Lifeline ?) in terms of
fridge use.
On that question I agree that many standard AGM optimized for continuous
lower level output will keep your fridge going a lot longer, and cost
significantly less.
I do not reccomend Oribtal types for that specific application, and
neither would I recomend N70 Lifeline types for heavy winch use.

Leaving aside the technical stuff for a second its worth asking why a company
like Exide supplies different types of batteries at different prices ?

In their own words the Orbitals are --
"For continuous charging and recharging over years of service,
the Exide Select Orbital Deep Cycle battery is our best. "

Robin Miller
FollowupID: 481450

Follow Up By: Mainey (WA) - Friday, Feb 09, 2007 at 17:53

Friday, Feb 09, 2007 at 17:53
Robin, I have stated in -> FollowUp 1 of 8 posted 07 Feb 2007 at 12:24 "The Exide Orbital has huge CCA ratings and is a gr8 Cranking battery, but has restricted use as a Deep Cycle battery because of it's very small a/h capacity, it will not even last as long as an Exide Extreme, which is only rated as a Passenger Car Cranking battery by Exide."

Yes, I accept the Orbital WILL "deliver more amp hours over 'MANY' discharge cycles without damage, than the similar (N70) size Extreme" which is what Exide state in their own advertising blurb.
But, Robin, my point is the Extreme should last 50% 'l o n g e r' between EACH recharge simply because it's rated by Exide as 150 Mins RC, whereby the Orbital is only rated as 100 Mins RC.

Robin, you say, "Leaving aside the technical stuff for a second its worth asking why a company like Exide supplies different types of batteries at different prices ? "

Maybe, they believe you should NOT use a Passenger Car (Cranking) battery as a Deep Cycle battery?

As to the Orbital battery being their "best" battery, yes it is, when viewed in the context as it is written there on their web site.

Exide state this on their site about their Endurance range of Deep Cycle batteries:
"Designed to outlast ordinary car batteries in Deep Cycle applications where there is prolonged power demand from accessories and other equipment. If you require an extended power supply for operating 4x4 accessories like a winch, CB radio, driving lights, refrigerator, extra camp lighting, auxiliary equipment or bilge pumps, a Deep Cycle Battery is the BEST solution." sort of makes you wonder why some ppl would contradict Exide and suggest "Passenger Car" rated batteries are superior to Exide Deep Cycle batteries, lol.

However a 100a/h AGM is my choice for an Aux battery
for all the valid reasons I have previously posted

Mainey...
FollowupID: 481508

Follow Up By: Robin - Monday, Feb 12, 2007 at 10:04

Monday, Feb 12, 2007 at 10:04
Hi Mainey

Don't think we are getting anywhere with this , in your last post you
say again that -

"But, Robin, my point is the Extreme should last 50% 'l o n g e r'
between EACH recharge simply because it's rated by Exide as 150 Mins
RC, whereby the Orbital is only rated as 100 Mins RC. "

This is not how it works, RC is not an indication of how long it
should last in repetitive use against a different type battery.
RC only has meaning against a similar type battery.
Exide extreme is not optimized as a deep cycle battery.
RC is a severe test and if done several times on a normal battery can
stuff it, and just doing it shortens life of any battery and a repeat
test won't give same figures.
Some like standard AGM aren't affected much and the spiral wound AGM
Orbital types are affected even less, but affected they are.

In your next point you are suggesting that Exide doesn't rate orbital as a
deep cycle as follows.

"Maybe, they believe you should NOT use a Passenger Car (Cranking) battery
as a Deep Cycle battery? "

From last post Exides words about Oribtal as deep cycle are --

"For continuous charging and recharging over years of service,
the Exide Orbital Deep Cycle battery is our best. "

Robin Miller
FollowupID: 481912

Follow Up By: Mainey (WA) - Monday, Feb 12, 2007 at 13:20

Monday, Feb 12, 2007 at 13:20
Robin, RC stands for RESERVE CAPACITY, this is NOT the actual testing procedure but the test RESULT, ie, the amount of TIME that ANY battery tested will effectively last while an 'item' (eg; fridge) is drawing a set current, often shown as 5 or 10 amps etc. with-in the parameters of the test results.
The reader of the test report can then make a logical, informed and intelligent decision as to how long a battery will actually last, while supplying that load on a consistent basis between charges.

Exide claim the Extreme will last 150 Minutes whereby the Orbital will only last 100 minutes, assuming the tests were done using the same test criteria, eg, same amp draw."

My statement, "Maybe, they believe you should NOT use a Passenger Car (Cranking) battery as a Deep Cycle battery? " actually refers to the Exide Extreme, the only Cranking battery mentioned in the post, as it's stated by Exide to be a "Passenger car" battery, while the Orbital battery is in it's own 'class' as it uses AGM technology, hence Exide's statement "For continuous charging and recharging over years of service, the Exide Orbital DEEP CYCLE battery is our best. "
FollowupID: 481941

Reply By: kiwicol - Sunday, Feb 04, 2007 at 12:37

Sunday, Feb 04, 2007 at 12:37
the more plates in a battery the better i have an overlander and a extreme and the latter just doesnt have the lasting power as the overlander which has more plates will be going back to the overlander col
AnswerID: 219636

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Sunday, Feb 04, 2007 at 13:01

Sunday, Feb 04, 2007 at 13:01
Greg,

First of all, let me qualify my thoughts by first saying I use an Exide Extreme as the primary (starting) battery in my Jack.

Depending on what you expect from your auxiliary battery, the Extreme may also be a reasonable choice as an auxiliary power supply.

When I look at the Exteme I have installed, (N70ex) it gives a rating of 620cca (cold cranking amps) and also a rating of 80Ah so it is a hybrid cranking/deep cycle battery, even though the Exide Web site doesn't state it.

Now, having said that, I don't believe using the Extreme as a deep cycle battery would be the best choice. It does not provide the advantage of an AGM style battery where quick and total recharging is possible from a vehicle alternator.
Especially in your case where you are running two fridges while travelling.

Regardless what battery you choose let me assure you that any of them can be stuffed in a short period of time, if you allow them to drain to a fully discharged state (10.5 volts) on more than one or two occasions.
I have destroyed an expensive Obital battery, just the same as I did a cheaper wet cell deep cycle battery in this way, before I installed a low voltage cut-out to protect whatever battery I'm using.

The Engel for instance runs "on the smell of an oily rag" so to speak. The maximum current drain for the 40 litre, is around 2.5-2.7 amps and it will continue to run on a lower voltage (eg 10.5 amps) even though the battery is technically "flat".

The ultimate choice of battery you use as an "under the bonnet" auxiliary will be largely driven by what size will fit in the cradle. A similar capacity AGM battery will have a larger footprint than an equivalent capacity wet cell deep cycle and in my case at least, even a second Extreme as an auxiliary battery was not possible.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

AnswerID: 219645

Reply By: Crackles - Sunday, Feb 04, 2007 at 15:06

Sunday, Feb 04, 2007 at 15:06
Let me start by saying all batteries are a compromise in one way or another, the Exide Extreme is no different. I haven't ever run them myself but those I travel with have got a relatively short life out of them (1.5 to 3 years) in fact several have been taken back under warrenty. Always difficult to directly pick a cause to the premature failures but the outback roads & regular cycling of the batts would certainly have contributed. If you don't cycle your batteries too deeply, for the price they certainly would be reasonable value for money but if reliability is a high priority (remote travel) I'd go for something of a higher spec. It seems often highly advertised products (like Exide, Waeko & Cooper for Example) don't quite match the claims made.
Cheers Craig............
HZJ105 with Trojan deep cycle batteries.
AnswerID: 219679

Reply By: greggu - Sunday, Feb 04, 2007 at 15:08

Sunday, Feb 04, 2007 at 15:08
thank you guys for the response
i guess it make a call pay the money and see how it goes really
my current thoughts are -
to get the exide extreme or similar type of batt for the starter battery
and see if a i can find a suitable size AGM to fit in the ARB dual battery cradle for the second or aux battery
just for the record i have 4 x 35 ah exide AGMs in the kimberley kamper which i am very happy with - they work very well
and i have a 100 ah delkor calcuim as well in a batt box mounted on the front of the KK hooked in parraled with the exide AGMs - not all that wrapped in the delkor really as it wont hold charge over 12.7v so proabbaly will replace it with an AGM in the future
thanks for the feed back batteries always attract a number of differing views i guess and we all recommend what has been good for us and thats the way it should be
see you greg
AnswerID: 219680

Follow Up By: Peter McG (Member, Melbourne) - Monday, Feb 05, 2007 at 14:16

Monday, Feb 05, 2007 at 14:16
Greg,

See Mainey's comment above. 12.7 is fully charged and you won't gte it any higher.

The Delkor looks the same as the Allrounder - Calcium maintenance free. These are designed for engine bays unlike the AGMs which were developed for golf buggies etc.

Peter
Peter
VKS Mobile 1906

FollowupID: 480469

Reply By: Member - MrBitchi (QLD) - Monday, Feb 05, 2007 at 13:23

Monday, Feb 05, 2007 at 13:23
Get the Excide from Kmart. About $125 for the N70 from memory.
AnswerID: 219872

Reply By: Robnicko - Tuesday, Feb 06, 2007 at 09:45

Tuesday, Feb 06, 2007 at 09:45
Greggu
I can only praise the Exide Extreme. I have had one as a main starter for 7 years now and still going strong. Also have one as a second battery running 2 waeco fridges one of which is never turned off.

I used to have a Powercrank battery but it sh17 itself after 4 months.

Rob
AnswerID: 220123

Sponsored Links